Monday, April 9, 2012

Homemade Mayonnaise

One of my sisters is a cook and she would make mayonnaise from scratch to put in potato salads. I thought if she can do it I should give it a try too! There's nothing better than fresh homemade mayonnaise. You don't need to worry about all the sugar, additives and the vegetable oils they use to make it in the store. That's why I love making things myself because I can choose what ingredients to use and make sure they are good quality and healthy. I use extra virgin olive oil in my mayonnaise recipe. It gives it a distinctive taste and more yellow colour and we love it. I usually make double this recipe because then it makes enough to put in one glass jar. Oh yeah, I love glass jars I collect them for all sorts of things as the are great to store things in!

And if you want to be cheeky I've also added how to make your mayonnaise lacto-fermented! Lacto-fermented means that your mayonnaise will last for longer and it contains enzymes good for your digestive system.

Mayonnaise
2 egg yolks
1 tsp dijon mustard
2tbls lemon juice or raw apple cider vinegar
1 tsp raw honey
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Himalaya salt and pepper

Make sure the eggs and all ingredients are at room temperature when you start. Put the egg yolks and everything else except the oil in a bowl and whisk until mixed together. Start adding the oil one drop at a time and whisk. After a while you can start adding a little bit more oil in each turn while whisking. At the end add a little salt and pepper to taste.

You can do it!

Lacto-fermented mayonnaise
Mix 1tbls of whey in finished mayonnaise and let it sit on kitchen counter in room temperature for 7-12 hours. Then store in fridge.

Whey: Put a coffee filter in a sieve on top of a bowl and put a few tablespoons of yoghurt in the coffee filter. Let it sit for a few hours and the bowl will collect clear white liquid -this is whey!

P.S. the yogurt then becomes a bit like cream cheese as it thickens so you can use it to make spreads and dips or use it like a thicker Greek style yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment