Saturday, April 21, 2012

Lacto-fermented Honey Dill Mustard


My own little jar of honey dill mustard.

I came across this recipe at GNOWFGLINS and it looked so good I went straight away and bought some mustard powder, got some fresh dill from the garden and got out my raw honey to whip up this tasty loooking sauce. And boy was it good!! And super easy to make. I have already made my second batch and it was a perfect amount to put in a little jar that previously had store bought mustard in it.. mine is so much better:) The hardest bit is letting it sit on the counter for 3 days. It smells so tasty and I can't wait to use it so I have to stop myself from constantly opening the lid and smelling it and looking at it.

Lately I've been experimenting in the world of fermenting. Fermenting is a traditional way of preserving foods and boosting their nutrient availability. Fermented foods are more easily digested plus full of healthy bacteria and enzymes for the digestive sysytem. By putting vegetables in salt or whey with some water and letting it sit in room temperature for a few days lets the sugars and starches convert into lactic acid, which is friendly bacteria. Modern store and processed foods lack beneficial bacteria and nutrients due to processing, pasteurization and using vinegar instead. That's why it's time to get back to traditional ways of preparing food like our ancestors did:) So far I've fermented lots of beetroots since they are my favourite. I have also made some pickles once but I didn't like them too much so I still have to work on them..

Making some ginger carrots and beetroot today. About to be put in jars and left to ferment!


Lacto-fermented Honey Dill Mustard
This mustard is nice and spicy and makes sandwiches taste heavenly. It is also great in mayonnaise and in salad dressings especially. If you don't like garlic you can leave it out of the recipe. Check out the link above for the original recipe as there is a apple cider vinegar version that is not lacto fermented.

1/2 cup mustard powder
3 tablespoons whey
2 tablespoons water
5 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
4 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 small garlic clove chopped up finely

Mix everything together in a bowl and then put into a glass jar with a lid. Let it sit on the kitchen counter in room temperature for 3 days then put in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment